PRINCIPLES OF ISO 22000 STANDARD
The ISO 22000 International Standard specifies the requirements for operating an effective Food Safety Management System that combines generally recognized key elements to ensure food safety along the food chain as follows:-
- Provides interactive communication: Clear communication along the food chain (with customers and suppliers) is essential to ensure that all relevant food safety hazards are identified and adequately controlled at each step.
- Systems management: The most effective food safety systems are designed, operated and updated within the framework of a structured management system and incorporated into the overall management activities of the organization. This provides maximum benefit for the organization and interested parties.
- Prerequisite programs: Production of safe products requires a detailed HACCP plan and the integration of two categories of prerequisite programmes under infrastructure and maintenance programmes to address basic hygiene requirements and practices; and operational prerequisite programmes to control identified food safety hazards.
- HACCP principles: ISO 22000 complies with the Codex Alimentarius HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) principles and application steps, developed by Codex Alimentarius, with prerequisite programmes. It uses the hazard analysis to determine the strategy for hazard control. HACCP is also designed for use in all areas of the food industry (from primary production of growing, harvesting, processing, manufacturing, distributing, and merchandising to fi nal food consumption) as it includes adopting steps to prevent problems before they occur and correct variations upon detection. Both HACCP and ISO 22000 system are able to be aligned with ISO 9001 (Quality Management System) to ease integrated implementation.
The benefits of ISO 22000 / HACCP Certification
- Increase awareness of food safety hazards
- Proper documentation and record keeping and enhance internal and external communication
- Demonstrate organization’s commitment to food safety thus boosting confidence in stakeholders